I had the pleasure to give this talk at the GDC 2022 / ADDON 2022 which focuses on the creation of textures for VFX. Click here to watch it:
The topic wasn’t discussed too much in the past and as I often struggle(d) making cool textures, I thought making a talk about it could help and maybe spark inspiration to others to talk more about this specific subject and share more knowledge.
Note 1: The talk The Dao of VFX Animation from Jeremy Griffith was an early inspiration for my talk.
Note 2: For my talk at the ADDON Conference I extended my demo project a bit (now it’s a volcano instead of clouds firing lightning strikes).
- GDC Recording: Youtube / GDC Vault
- Slides (the slides have an extra content++ section which was not shown during the talk)
- Slides (GDC)
- Slides (ADDON) (new slides in comparison to the GDC version: 3, 4, 94-102, 114)
- Textures for VFX Resource Database
- Unreal Project Files (Unreal 4 Project [GDC], Unreal 5 Project [Addon])
- Substance Designer Files
- Artstation Post with a Mini-Breakdown
- Some Photos of my GDC Travel (as part of a Podcast Post)
A short little extra video showing off the Content++ section, the texture database and some extra nuggets:
By the way, in 2017 I gave a similar (but more technical) talk about cool stuff we did with textures in “The Invisible Hours”:
Here is a summary of my trip in a light 4 minute video with some music:
I hope you find all of these information useful. Feel free to write me a message on Twitter or via Mail. I would love to hear your feedback!
Without these people, their help and feedback this talk would not have been possible. Thank you soo much!
Celine Tellier & Léa Laurain
Veer Sharma (GDC)
Alain Puget & Laëtitia CARPENTIER (ADDON)
Gabi – Gabriel Boileau
Thank you very much for your talk and for sharing all these valuable resources! keep up the good work and keep motivating us as well!