The topic wasn’t discussed too much in the past and as I often struggle(d) making cool textures, I thought making a talk about it could help and maybe spark inspiration to others to talk more about this specific subject and share more knowledge.
Note 1: The talk The Dao of VFX Animation from Jeremy Griffith was an early inspiration for my talk.
Note 2: For my talk at the ADDON Conference I extended my demo project a bit (now it’s a volcano instead of clouds firing lightning strikes).
- GDC Recording: Youtube / GDC Vault
- Slides (the slides have an extra content++ section which was not shown during the talk)
- Textures for VFX Resource Database
- Unreal Project Files (Unreal 4 Project [GDC], Unreal 5 Project [Addon])
- Substance Designer Files
- Artstation Post with a Mini-Breakdown
- Some Photos of my GDC Travel (as part of a Podcast Post)
A short little extra video showing off the Content++ section, the texture database and some extra nuggets:
By the way, in 2017 I gave a similar (but more technical) talk about cool stuff we did with textures in “The Invisible Hours”:
Here is a summary of my trip in a light 4 minute video with some music:
Without these people, their help and feedback this talk would not have been possible. Thank you soo much!
Celine Tellier & Léa Laurain
Veer Sharma (GDC)
Alain Puget & Laëtitia CARPENTIER (ADDON)
Gabi – Gabriel Boileau